Selling Scrap Metal at Our Dock: What to Expect
Never been to a scrap yard before? No problem! At Calbag Metals, we feel you should know what to expect. Here’s the scoop on what happens at our retail dock:
- Customer is greeted at the dock
- Customers unload into bins, boxes or barrels provided by Calbag Metals Co.
- Dock buyer inspects each type of material to identify and grade
- Dock buyer advises price Calbag will pay
- Each type of material is weighed separately
What you need to bring:
- State-issued identification is required by law.
State Rules for Payments:
Oregon: Oregon state law now specifies payment by check for all individual transactions. We are required to send payment by mail three days after receipt of your metal. Payments made to a company with a valid business license can be paid immediately with cash or check.
Washington: For ferrous metal scrap up to $30 can be paid by cash. Payment can always be by check if preferred.
It’s that simple! Now here’s a word about the weighing process:
At Calbag, you see the entire process: your metal is weighed on a calibrated and certified scale, the readout is always visible, your ticket shows each item, its weight and the price paid. Calbag buyers value your business, and know that trust is crucial in keeping you as a public dock customer.
Dock Hours in Portland: Need Directions? View Map
Nicolai location: 8:00 am – 12:00 pm, 12:30 – 4:30 pm Monday - Friday
Dock Hours in Tacoma: Need Directions? View Map
8:00 am – 4:30 pm Monday - Friday, 8:00 am – 12:00 pm Saturday
You see the whole process at Calbag Metals’ dock. We’re proud of our accurate weights.
- You see our grader go through your load, using their expertise in metal grading to get you the highest price for your load
- You will be informed of the price you will be paid
- You see the actual scale weight as it happens – we weigh it in front of you
- You see state stickers certifying the accuracy of our scales – the price per pound that you are paid for your load is not relevant if the scales are "light"
- You see the tare weight clearly marked on our bins, so you know and we know the weight that needs to be deducted from the scale weight.
- You receive a print-out of how your load was priced, weighed, and paid
We believe our "open dock" policy gives our scrap customers who drop-off their metals confidence that they are being treated fairly. While weighing your load in front of you may be an unusual practice in our industry, we think it’s the best practice.
Bring your scrap metal to one of our public docks in Portland, Oregon or Tacoma, WA and see for yourself why Calbag Metals is a name you should know and trust.